24/7 ServiceCommercial

Septic Compliance Inspection

Many questions and concerns arise during the title transfer of a property, such as: how is the foundation, plumbing and electric? For homes that have a sepsss_022.JPGtic system, your big question should be, ‘is the septic system compliant?’ While compliance inspections are not required by law, they may be required by your local government unit.


Learn more by reading information from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency below, or contact Kothrade with questions or to schedule your compliance inspection.



What is a compliance inspection?

A compliance inspection is an evaluation, investigation, inspection or other such process conducted for the purpose of issuing a Certificate of Compliance (COC) or Notice of Non-compliance (NON).

What is a COC and a NON?

The COC certifies a system is in compliance with state requirements at the time of the inspection. The COC does not guarantee future hydraulic performance, especially if the use changes or the flow increases over the amounts used by th current occupants.

For an existing SSTS, the COC is valid for three years from the date of issuance. The NON gives notice a system fails to be in compliance with state requirements at the time of inspection. There are two types of failing designations, an Imminent Threat to Public Health or Safety and a Failing to Protect Ground water. The NON must also indicate the time frame for upgrade, repair, or replacement as set in the local ordinance.

When are compliance inspections required?

While state law does not require an inspection at property transfer, many Local Government Units (LGUs) have ordinances requiring this. LGUs are Counties, Townships, and Cities. The LGU may also require a compliance inspection when complaints are received, as part of area surveys, or for lot spills. Compliance inspections can also be required upon request by the purchaser of a property, the mortgage lender, or real estate agent.

Where do I find more information?

For additional information, please visit the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency Web site at: www.pca.state.mn.us/programs/ists/